Friday, June 04, 2010

Vulcans in America - Quinto cast in "Angels" revival

Photo courtesy
of Playbill.com
Both The New York Times and Playbill are reporting that initial casting for the revival of Tony Kushner's Tony Award-winning play(s) Angels in America includes Zachary Quinto and Billy Porter.  Angels in America won both the 1993 and 1994 Tony Awards for Best Play (Millennium Approaches and Perestroika respectively).

Word is the Quinto will play Louis (originally played by Joe Mantello who was nominated for a Tony Award for his performance). I'm thrilled to have the chance to see Quinto on stage and am sure he'll be superb as Louis but worry that I'll not like Louis here as much as I don't like him when reading the play or seeing the HBO film version.  Louis is prejudiced and scared... that I understand.  But I cannot fathom treating anyone - in particular my partner - the way he does.  I imagine that if I were in this gaggle of gays that I would be the first to name Louis as a DTM (dead-to-me) for his behavior.  Anyway... before I rant further...

The rumor mill is churning too that Christian Borle is in negotiations to play Prior Walter.  I heart Prior.  He's furious with the world for his situation and yet he's ultimately graceful and loving... maybe a little nuts but who wouldn't be when the world (here the mid-1980s) seems to be falling apart around you... and through you.  Borle may be excellent.  I enjoyed his work in Legally Blonde (and his "That's on Ebay" commercial from years ago - see below).

So, while subscription tickets are now sold out there will be single tickets on sale on August 3rd at 10am.  I'm sure more news will come but until then I'll enjoy the thought of seeing these productions on stage for the first time - having misses the original run back in the 90s.

No comments: