Monday, March 29, 2010

Shake Your Bon-Bon, shake your bon....bwhhaatt??

Courtesy of Rolling Stone
I think there's plenty to be said for coming out.  The more public we are (ixnay on the P.D.A.... that goes for everyone though) the more "normal" it becomes and the less scary it becomes for people who "don't understand."  It was empowering when I came out, not because I suddenly had a rainbow flag and decided to march down main street in hot pants, but because I was being me and not having to come up with reasons why I didn't want to go out with this girl or that girl.

But when celebrities do it late (relatively) in their careers it just begs the question... why?  Especially for celebrities who we all figured were gay-but-closeted anyway.  (Note: If you are closeted that's fine... I hold no grudge against you.  Your life is your life to live and shouldn't be judged by anyone... anyone.)  But it does become suspect that these celebrities do it solely for the publicity in the face of a lukewarm "Hollywood" presence.

This diatribe comes from Ricky Martin's announcement that he's now "... proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am."

Ok Ricky... for years you denied it.  And now just when we've nearly forgotten you (at least in the mainstream English speaking market) you say "hello" with all the flair that we knew you had all along.

Same goes for Sean Hayes a few weeks ago.  Hayes specifically talked about how he felt pushed to come out after years of playing gay on Will & Grace.  So why now?  Is it purely self-enlightenment and freedom from hiding... or do celebrities have a little more (or less) to gain in doing so?

Crap... now I sound like everyone who has ever whined about this issue.  Damn.  Ok, instead, let us just enjoy the hilarity in Ricky Martin "coming out"- as if his leather-pant filled, sheer-top hanging, cha-cha shoes storin' closet EVER had a door on it.  SNAP!

No comments: