Wednesday, November 12, 2008

CMT's Eckern Offers Apology for Prop 8 Funding

According to Playbill.com, California Musical Theatre's Artistic Director, Scott Eckern has offered an apology for his financial support of Prop 8.

Quoted from the article (to read the full article please visit the link above or click here):
In response to the words of Shaiman, Egan, Whitty and numerous individuals who contacted the theatre company, Eckern released an apology and has donated $1,000 to the Human Rights Campaign, which works to achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

"I understand that my choice of supporting Proposition 8 has been the cause of many hurt feelings maybe even betrayal. It was not my intent. I honestly had no idea that this would be the reaction. I chose to act upon my belief that the traditional definition of marriage should be preserved. I support each individual to have rights and access and I understood that in California domestic partnerships come with the same rights that come with marriage," Eckern said in a statement.

He continued, "I definitely do not support any message or treatment of others that is hateful or instills fear. This is a highly emotional issue. I have now had many conversations with friends and colleagues and I now have a better idea of what the discrimination issues are, how deeply felt these issues are and I am deeply saddened that my acting upon my religious convictions has been devastating to those I love and admire… I am deeply sorry for any harm or injury I have caused."
Well, that's better. And I accept his apology. But I would prefer that people do this soul search and research before they make a leap towards discrimination.

In the "good news" section of today, Connecticut begins marrying same-sex couple today! Congrats to the smart, well adjusted citizens of Connecticut who knew better than to legalize discrimination (and shame on you California for not being mature enough to embrace equality.)

See more funny videos at Funny or Die

No comments: